All filmmakers will be contacted on or before August 11th, 2017 to let them know of festival lineup decisions.
Please read the following agreement. By checking the “Submission Agreement” box on our Film Submission Form, you certify that you agree to the following:
By submitting a film to the Santa Cruz Surf Film Festival (hereby known as SCSFF), you:
1. Acknowledge that you are duly authorized by the filmmakers to submit the film into this Festival;
2. Certify that you have full rights to use the music featured in the film, and can provide proof of music licensing if required;
3. Certify that you have obtained all necessary signed model/actor releases from individuals appearing in the film, and can provide signed model/actor releases if requested;
4. Agree to take on any and all copyright liability that might result from submitting the film;
5. Hold the Santa Cruz Surf Film Festival, its management, juries, agents, sponsors, and affiliates harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from your entry;
6. Agree to release the SCSFF from responsibility if any film submission materials are damaged while in transit to and from, or while in the possession of the SCSFF;
7. Give permission to SCSFF to use up to 3 minutes of footage from submitted film, stills, titles, and copy for promotional purposes;
8. Give permission to SCSFF to screen the film at the Santa Cruz Surf Film Festival 2017 theater screenings if the film is chosen as an official selection, as well as related events;
9. Acknowledge that entry does not guarantee acceptance to SCSFF or related events.
Submission Rules & Guidelines:
1) Deadline for submissions is midnight Pacific Daylight Time (California), July 15, 2017.
2) There are no entry fees.
3) We don’t accept films containing pornography.
4) We will give preference to films made after January 1, 2016. Films made before 2016 may be considered for acceptance to the Festival, but this is up to the discretion of the SCSFF.
5) You may submit more than one film into the Festival, but you must fill out a separate submission form for each film.
6) If your film is under 30 minutes long, it will be considered for our SHORTS category.
If your film is thirty (30) minutes long or over, we will consider it for our FEATURES category.
7) We require films submitted for consideration to be uploaded to Vimeo, Reelhouse or other video streaming site, and password-protected. In our submission form, please provide the link and password.
8) Preference will be given to films never before shown at public screenings in Santa Cruz County. Films shown on TV, video, cable, pay-per-view, other festivals, online, or other distribution outlets that run concurrently, within the same month, or one month before or after the festival may be considered ineligible for screening at SCSFF’s discretion.
9) Films chosen as Official Selections for the 2017 Santa Cruz Surf Film Festival will be announced August 21st, 2017. Filmmakers will be notified of selection via email by August 12th.
10) If chosen as an Official Selection of the Santa Cruz Surf Film Festival, producers must provide the film in digital media format (MPG, MOV, WMV, etc.) with H264 encoding at 1080p resolution and a minimum 20 fps image rate, via download site, thumb/hard drive, or data disc by August 30th, 2017. Please write or print your film's title, producer and director’s name, file format, and length of film directly on the face of the disc/media and on the outside of the envelope that you send it in. If sending data discs, please send one extra backup copy.
11) Filmmakers will assume all shipping costs to the Santa Cruz Surf Film Festival. Submissions on data discs will not be returned.
12) We do not accept rough cuts unless the cut is at least 90% representative of the final product (90% of music and editing has been finalized).
13) Films containing non-English dialogue must have English subtitles.
14) If selected as an Official Selection, Producer hereby gives the SCSFF the right to upload the film to the SCSFF secure screening panel website to make submission available to SCSFF jury members and to media.
15) By submitting, if chosen as an official selection, Producer is hereby granting permission for the SCSFF to exhibit Producer’s submission in the SCSFF event.